Sunday 26 July 2020

Epicurean philosopher


(i)

Greek philosophers, I was told,
had a materialist view of reality.
I was intrigued by the idea, bold,
bursting with beauty.

Particles of matter
in boundless void
shimmy and shine,
devoid
of a divine
grand design.

Matter in eternal motion,
chance collision,
 formation
and separation.
A timeless dance
of creation
and destruction!

If matter and chance is all that is here,
where is the need for religious fear,
divine commandment, or punishment?
Simply live, seek self-fulfilment.

 (ii)

I’m here by chance,
so let me dance!
I’ve just begun
to have some fun!

Go nice and slow,
see bubbles blow,
sing you a song
to make you glow.

Go with speed
if there’s need,
If I’m lost
I’ll take your lead.

Be playful, strong, kind,
but use my mind,
I’ll pick your brain,
see what I find.

Phone a friend,
pick a fight,
try somehow to
put it right.

When there’s pain
shed many-a-tear.
When there’s joy
grin ear to ear.

Soar up and high
to touch the sky,
I may not make it,
but I’ll try.

Do no harm.
As if I would!
I’d do some good
if I could!

(iii)

I pause,
I ponder……..
as though in a trance.
Is my life, my will, my soul,
just a dance
of matter and chance?

Poonam August 18


No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment.